The Erie Water Works Cross-Connection Control Program is dedicated to protecting the public water system through the elimination of cross-connections. Cross-connections lead to potential for backflow. Backflow is the undesirable reversal of normal flow of water in any pipeline or plumbing system. Backflow is dangerous because it can result in drinking water becoming contaminated, unsafe, and unusable.
The Erie Water Works Cross-Connection Control Program was established in 1974 as mandated by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). The SDWA is a federal law that ensures the quality of American’s drinking water. Under the SDWA, the Environmental Protection Agency sets standards for drinking water quality, and oversees the states, localities, and water suppliers who implement those standards.
Any facility that has the potential for cross-connections requires a backflow preventer. The type of backflow preventer is determined by the potential Degree of Hazard. Degree of Hazard is determined by Erie Water Works (EWW). EWW’s Cross-Connection Control Program currently tracks over 7,000 backflow preventers installed within residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional facilities such as manufacturing companies, offices, retail facilities, educational and government buildings, and facilities with lawn irrigation systems.
For any questions or concerns regarding backflow prevention please contact:
Cross-Connection Control Supervisor
240 West 12th Street
Erie, PA 16501
Phone: 814-870-8000 ext. 207
Backflow Tester Information
Backflow Sketches, EWW Details and Surveys can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Obtain EWW Certified Backflow Tester License:
- 2020 EWW Certified Backflow Tester License Requirement List (PDF)
- 2020 EWW Certified Backflow Tester License and SpryPoint Registration Instructions (SpryPoint Registration Instruction Link)
- SpryPoint Website: www.backflow.eriewater.org
Backflow Tester Forms:
- 2020 EWW Licensed Backflow Tester List (PDF)
- EWW Service Area Map for Backflow Testers (PDF)
- EWW Cross-Connection Control Brochure (PDF)
- Domestic Water Use/Cross-Connection Control Survey (PDF)
- Fire Protection/Cross-Connection Control Survey (PDF)
- EWW Water Service Details & Backflow Submittal forms- Page Link
Resources & Links:
- EWW Cross-Connection Control Termination Policy (PDF)
- Erie City Cross-Connection Control Ordinance of 1974 (PDF)
- PA Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974 (PDF)
- US EPA Cross-Connection Control Manual (PDF): www.water.epa.gov/drink
- American Society of Sanitary Engineers (ASSE) Approved Backflow Preventers: www.asse-plumbing.org
- AWWA (American Water Works Association) www.awwa.org
- PA DEP (Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection) www.dep.pa.org
- ABPA (American Backflow Prevention Association) www.abpa.org
- Zurn-Wilkins Backflow Preventers – Page Link
- Watts Backflow Preventers – Page Link
- Backflow Direct Backflow Preventers (Deringer) – Page Link